WASC Meetings/Trainings (WI Association of Senior Centers)
Spring 2014 WAND/WASC Training
March 27, 2014 | Holiday Inn and Convention Center, Stevens Point
Elderly Nutrition Program Revitalization
Sara Koenig, Elder Nutrition Program Manager, Bureau of Aging and Disability Resources
Deer!! The Surprises Around the Corner for Aging Baby Boomers
Keynote Address by Dr. Sue Myllykangas
Aging in Place: The Role of Transportation
Lunch Presentation by Carrie Porter, GWAAR
Food Across the Decades: What’s Age Have to Do With It?
Presentation by Dr. Sue
Nutrition Director Orientation: March 13, 2014
Orientation Webinar Recording
All are welcome to view/use these materials either as a refresher or as training for new staff and volunteers, board and Commission on Aging members, and/or Nutrition Advisory Council members.
SAMS 3.0 Information and Instructional Materials
More information coming soon.
2014 Wisconsin Aging Network Conference
Save the date for our 2014 Wisconsin Aging Network Conference to be held September 10-12, 2014, at the Kalahari Convention Center & Resort in Wisconsin Dells. The theme will be Think Big! and conference focus areas will be healthy aging: mind, body, spirit; advocacy; diversity and inclusion in aging; leadership development; and turning challenges into opportunities.
We invite nominations for the 2014 ElderAce Awards recognizing outstanding work in the field of aging in the state of Wisconsin. Award categories include Innovation, Best Practices, Organizational Excellence, Advocacy, Leadership, and Special Service. Winners will be recognized at our 2014 Wisconsin Aging Network Conference.
Written nominations must be submitted by April 25, 2014.
Larry Polivka, Ph.D.
Dr. Larry Polivka, Executive Director of The Claude Pepper Center and Scholar-in-Residence with The Claude Pepper Foundation, Inc., will discuss the relationship between aging programs and health and long-term care systems and how aging programs should position themselves for the future.
Dr. Polivka’s keynote address is made possible with the generous support of the Milwaukee County Department on Aging.
Sponsors and Exhibitors
We invite you to join us as a sponsor and/or exhibitor to be part of this dynamic gathering of professionals. Platinum and gold sponsorships are available as well as exhibitor booths. Send in a form today!
Conference Advisory Committee
Conference Planner: Anne Rodgers-Rhyme
Conference Advisory Committee Members:
- Betsy Abramson, WI Institute for Healthy Aging (WIHA)
- Jonette Arms, Miwaukee County Department on Aging
- Cheryl Batterman, Area Agency on Aging of Dane County
- Sarah Cowen, GWAAR - Operations Coordinator
- Marcia Hendrickson, WI Association of Senior Centers (WASC) / South Madison Coalition of the Elderly
- Wendell Holt, Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council (GLITC)
- Julie Juranek, WI Association of Benefit Specialists (WABS) / Walworth County Department of Health and Human Services
- Bob Kellerman, GWAAR - Executive Director
- Kris Krasnowski, GWAAR - Communications Coordinator
- Mike Lew, GWAAR Board Member
- Neal Minogue, WI Department of Health Services, Division of Long-Term Care, Office for Resource Center Development (ORCD)
- Deb Mould, GWAAR - Fiscal Manager
- Alice Page, WI Department of Health Services, Division of Long-Term Care, Bureau of Aging and Disability Resources - Office on Aging
- Michelle Pike, Aging and Disability Professionals Association of Wisconsin (ADPAW) / ADRC of Ozaukee County
- Anne Prince, WI Association of Nutrition Directors (WAND) / Walworth County Department of Health and Human Services
- Sarah Quale, Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council (GLITC)
- Sara Saye-Koenig, WI Department of Health Services, Division of Long-Term Care, Bureau of Aging and Disability Resources - Office on Aging
- John Schnabl, GWAAR - Older Americans Act and Special Projects Manager
- Va Thao, GWAAR Advisory Council / La Crosse County Aging Office
Guardianship Support Center Resources
Disability Rights Wisconsin
Wisconsin Bar Association
Wisconsin Board on Aging and Long-Term Care
Wisconsin Board for People with Developmental Disabilities (WBPDD)
Wisconsin Circuit Court Forms
Wisconsin Department of Health Services
Aging and Disability Resource Centers Customer Page
Adult Protective Services
Division of Quality Assurance
Aging and Disability Resource Centers
Wisconsin Legislative Documents
Wisconsin State Law Library
Wisconsin Guardianship Association
MIPPA - Shared Resources for Outreach
MIPPA—the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act of 2008—was multi-faceted legislation that put into place a variety of changes related to Medicare policy. It also initiated statewide concerted efforts to make beneficiaries aware of these changes, along with the preventive health and wellness benefits of Medicare. The results have been dramatic! Over 23,000 older or disabled adults have been helped to save almost $61 million per year on Medicare costs! See the details.
Strong collaborations were forged among information and assistance workers, options counselors, disability and elder benefit specialists, income maintenance workers, and others who assist disabled or older adults. Best practices evolved to better assure that all those most vulnerable who are eligible for Medicare Savings Programs, Extra Help, and related benefits have access to them.
The links on this page allow these resources and best practices to continue to be shared. May they help to sustain efforts to empower the rapidly-growing older population in Wisconsin to access the health care, preventive and wellness benefits, and other services that will help them maintain their independence and contribute to their communities. (Scroll down to see all, or click on the type of resource needed.)
Customizable Wisconsin MIPPA Brochure
Spanish coming soon
Hmong coming soon
Open Enrollment for Medicare to Start
Medicare’s Annual Wellness Visit
Save Money on Health Care
Questions and Answers about MSP and LIS
Save Money and Reduce Stress (MSP)
Any Year Mothers’ or Fathers’ Day
Radio PSA Scripts
Record at local station with your agency contact information; thanks to Kitty Thomas.
Basic MIPPA PSA
Preventive Services PSA
Dialog Format MSP PSA
Extra Help PSA
Getting Preventive Services PSA
Basic MSP PSA
Working With the Media
An excellent primer by Jill Makovec of Learfield Communications on generating free media, using radio, and much more.
Go back (new page) to the main Medicare Information page.