Position Title: Veteran-Directed Home and Community-Based Services Care Consultant
Reports to: VA Programs Manager
Position Status: This is a full-time, exempt, special projects position working standard business hours Monday through Friday with some nights, weekends, and overnights possible.
Position Summary: The VDHCBS Program helps veterans needing assistance choose their own caregivers, services, and supports to be able to safely and successfully remain living in their home. In conjunction with the veteran and their family, the VDHCBS Care Consultant is responsible for assessing the veteran’s abilities and level of functioning, identifying areas of need and preferences for meeting those needs, developing a care plan to meet the needs, assisting the veteran and family caregiver with setting up and purchasing goods and services within their individual budget allocation, and assisting the veteran with monitoring service provision. This position will require a significant amount of travel within both the Tomah VAMC and northern part of Milwaukee VAMC service areas.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides detailed VDHCBS program orientation to veteran and family caregiver including how the program relates to self-direction, plan creation, service provision, and budget management to allow the veteran to live independently in the community.
- Meets with veteran in the veteran’s home to conduct a thorough assessment to identify functioning level, lifestyle preferences, sources of support, and other relevant factors.
- Assists veteran with creating a service/care plan to address the identified needs and preferences within the allocated budget.
- Communicates with VA regarding assessment and service/care plan, obtains approval as appropriate.
- Assists veteran as needed to identify, hire, and train qualified service providers including natural and non-paid supports.
- Assists veteran with monitoring the provision and quality of services.
- Assists veteran with monthly invoices for goods and services provided.
- Interacts with fiscal agent as appropriate regarding participant and employee set-up, budget, and invoicing.
- Meets with veteran in the veteran’s home regularly and as needed to assess and reassess service plan, service provision, invoicing, and address any concerns.
- Completes required documentation within allocated timeline.
- Re-assesses the veteran when there has been a significant change in condition which may warrant a change in budget.
- Assists the veteran in making changes to the service/care plan when needed and reviews and changes at the veteran’s request, communicates and obtains VA approval as appropriate.
- Trains the veteran in self-direction with the goal of empowering the veteran to take more control over time.
- Assists the veteran in understanding and implementing program changes.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field or profession from an accredited college, master’s degree preferred. Five years of related work experience including at least three years of work experience in some type of case management or care coordination role. Experience with maintenance of client records. High level of initiative and energy. Excellent listening, interviewing, and assessment skills. Knowledge of long-term care, social service delivery systems preferred. Knowledge of and/or experience with physical disabilities, mental health, and other issues relating to the veteran long-term care population preferred. Ability to organize and plan work effectively and independently. Ability to establish and maintain effective public and working relationships. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing. Computer proficiency required, experience with Microsoft Access preferred. Automobile and insurance required.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter, resume, and salary preferences to the following or apply online:
Lisa Drouin, VA Programs Manager
Greater Wisconsin Agency on Aging Resources
125 N. Executive Drive, Suite 207
Brookfield, WI 53005
GWAAR is an equal opportunity employer.