Position Title: Benefit Specialist Supervising Attorney
Reports to: Legal Services Manager
Position Status: Full-Time, Exempt Position
Position Summary: The Benefit Specialist Supervising Attorney provides legal supervision and training for the elder benefit specialists in a 20-county region within the state. This position is part of the legal services team located in the Madison GWAAR office.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide legal supervision and training to elder benefit specialists in a designated region.
- Conduct county site visits and annual performance evaluations of elder benefit specialist staff in the designated region.
- Develop and maintain an expertise in federal and state public benefits programs including Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, FoodShare, housing, consumer law, and general civil litigation.
- Research and analyze benefit entitlement and client rights issues as they pertain to the facts of each individual case.
- Provide direct legal representation to clients in small claims court and at fair hearings.
- Develop and present materials for the benefit specialists’ monthly trainings and newsletter.
- Comply with reporting requirements as required by funding sources.
- Develop project outreach and educational materials.
- At least quarterly overnight statewide travel is required. The incumbent must provide proof of automobile insurance as required by the State of Wisconsin and provide a copy of a valid Wisconsin driver license.
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school and admission to the State Bar of Wisconsin.
- Demonstrated experience working with people aged 60+, people with disabilities, and/or low-income clients.
- Desire to function as an ambassador of the agency in a wide variety of venues and circumstances.
- Ability to articulate and relay legal concepts to non-attorney benefit specialists in a clear and concise manner.
- Understanding of and adherence to the Model Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys.
- Strong organizational skills with strict adherence to deadlines.
- Effective communication skills—both verbally and in writing—and a desire to engage in public speaking.
- Proficiency in email, Internet research, Excel, Word, and creating consumer-friendly publications.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Two years of legal experience representing clients in general civil litigation and/or fair hearings.
- Experience with public benefit programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, etc.
- Previous public speaking experience.
- Understanding of long-term care programs such as Family Care, IRIS, and CIP and COP waivers.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume by 4:30 p.m., Thursday, October 31, 2013.
Kate Schilling, Legal Services Manager
Greater Wisconsin Agency on Aging Resources
1414 MacArthur Road, Suite A
Madison, WI 53714
GWAAR is an equal opportunity employer.