Position Title: Legal Program Assistant
Reports to: GWAAR Elder Law and Advocacy Center Legal Services Manager
Position Status: This is a part-time position. The candidate will work 20 hours per week between the hours of 8:00-5:00 Monday through Friday.
Position Summary: The purpose of this position is to provide administrative assistance to the staff in the Elder Law & Advocacy Center at GWAAR. The Legal Program Assistant will play a role in coordinating outreach events, preparing publications, and general office work to ensure smooth workplace operation. Occasional statewide travel required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with the GWAAR legal services team to ensure overall organization and coordination of the office.
- Perform database entry for the elder benefit specialist (EBS) and Guardianship Support Center (GSC) programs weekly to ensure proper data tracking is maintained.
- Assist with preparation for bi-monthly EBS basic training—including copying training binders, reserving conference rooms, making coffee, greeting EBSs, ordering lunch, making signs, etc.
- Assist with copies and exhibit preparation for administrative hearings and appeals.
- Prepare for EBS regional trainings—including reserving conference rooms, creating agendas, copying evaluations, editing training materials, etc.
- Coordinate quarterly free legal clinics and senior outreach events.
- Create, update, proofread, and print consumer publications and newsletters for the EBS and GSC programs.
- Greet visitors and answer general consumer questions.
- Make copies, file, scan documents, shred documents, and distribute mail to third-floor staff.
- Organize and stock the office supply area.
- Assist with coordination and planning of the WI Aging Network Conference and other GWAAR-sponsored events.
- Other general office duties as needed.
- An associate’s or bachelor’s degree is preferred; an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position will be considered.
- Strong verbal, written, and editing skills.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to use the Internet, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Familiarity with basic office equipment such as copy machine, fax, scanner, postage machine, etc.
- Understanding of and adherence with strict client confidentiality standards.
- Self-starter who can work with limited supervision.
- A valid WI driver license and reliable transportation.
- Interest in working with seniors and aging advocacy groups.
- Familiarity with senior matters such as Medicare, Medicaid, SSA, consumer issues, housing, ACA, etc.
- Previous experience in customer service, program coordination, or office assistance.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter detailing your administrative or paralegal experience, why you are interested in working at GWAAR, and how your background matches our needs. Resumes sent without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications are due no later than 4:30 p.m. on February 19, 2016.
If submitting materials electronically, please send with the subject line LEGAL PROGRAM ASSISTANT to Kate Schilling, Legal Services Manager.
Attorney Kate Schilling, Legal Services Manager
Greater Wisconsin Agency on Aging Resources
1414 MacArthur Road, Suite A
Madison, WI 53714
GWAAR is an equal opportunity employer.