As a partner with county and tribal aging programs, GWAAR is your resource for up-to-date information, training, and technical support to help you provide high-quality health promotion information and resources to the older people who would benefit them.
Wisconsin county and tribal aging programs can get health promotion support and technical assistance by contacting GWAAR’s Health Promotion Team. Team members are Jill Ballard, Lyndsay DeKeyser, Janell Keeter, Valeree Lecey, and Pam VanKampen.
Evidence-Based Prevention Programs
The Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging (WIHA) was formed to advance the spread of evidence-based prevention programs that encourage and support healthy living among older people through partnerships with public and private organizations including the Greater Wisconsin Agency on Aging Resources. Since its inception, WIHA has been the permanent home for Living Well (a chronic disease self-management program), Tomando (a Spanish-language version of chronic disease self-management), and Stepping On (a falls prevention program). For more information, visit WIHA.
The GWAAR Health Promotion Team
The HP Team works with state and WIHA staff on evidence-based prevention programs (such as Living Well and Stepping On). Below are some ways that the HP Team provides technical assistance to aging unit directors, staff, and prevention program partners:
- Interpret and answer questions about Older Americans Act Title III-D: Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Services
- Generate ideas for effectively spending III-D funds
- Provide health promotion coordinators and other aging unit staff with materials and resources on a variety of wellness topics for presentations and replication
- Assist with developing marketing, outreach, and sustainability measures for health promotion and evidence-based prevention programs
- Provide training, assistance, and fidelity coaching sessions for local Living Well and Stepping On program leaders
- Promote (and in some cases, lead) Living Well and Stepping On leader trainings and other health promotion presentations
- Provide assistance with writing health promotion SMART goals for aging unit plans
Stepping On, Living Well, & Tomando Workshops
Go to the WIHA Website and you will find upcoming Stepping On, Living Well, and Tomando workshops throughout Wisconsin.
Becoming a Living Well or Stepping On Workshop Leader
Information for Living Well Leaders & Coordinators at WIHA Site (registered users only)This password-protected section on the WIHA site contains information, documents, marketing materials, and other resources to help Workshop Leaders and Coordinators promote and run a Living Well workshop.
Information for Stepping On Leaders & Coordinators at WIHA Site (registered users only)
This password-protected section on the WIHA site contains information, documents, marketing materials, and other resources to help Workshop Leaders and Coordinators promote and run a Stepping On workshop.