As a partner with county and tribal aging programs, GWAAR is your resource for up-to-date information, training, and technical support to help you provide high-quality health promotion information and resources to the older people who would benefit from them.
Wisconsin county and tribal aging units can get health promotion support and technical assistance by contacting GWAAR health promotion lead Jill Renken.
Evidence-Based Prevention Programs
The Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging (WIHA) is a clearinghouse for evidence-based healthy aging programs that encourage and support healthy living among older people through partnerships with public and private organizations including the Greater Wisconsin Agency on Aging Resources. WIHA is the permanent home for Living Well (a chronic disease self-management program), Tomando Control de su Salud (the Spanish-language version of chronic disease self-management), Healthy Living with Diabetes (chronic disease self-management for people with diabetes), Vivir Saludable con Diabetes (the Spanish-language version of Healthy Living with Diabetes), Stepping On (a falls prevention program), and Powerful Tools for Caregivers (a program to support family caregivers). For more information, visit WIHA.
The GWAAR Health Promotion Team
The HP lead works with WI DHS and Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging (WIHA) staff on evidence-based prevention programs. Below are some ways the lead provides technical assistance to aging unit directors, staff, and prevention program partners:
- Interpret and answer questions about Older Americans Act Title III-D: Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Services.
- Generate ideas for effectively spending III-D funds.
- Provide health promotion coordinators and other aging unit staff with materials and resources on a variety of wellness topics for presentations and replication.
- Assist with developing marketing, outreach, and sustainability measures for health promotion and evidence-based prevention programs.
- Provide training, assistance, and fidelity coaching sessions for local Living Well and Stepping On program leaders.
- Promote (and in some cases, lead) Living Well and Stepping On leader trainings and other health promotion presentations.
- Provide assistance with writing health promotion SMART goals for aging unit plans.